Like most people, you probably feel sad about leaving your dog behind for a vacation. Traveling with pets, especially dogs, can be really fun, and since pooches are a part of the family, you should definitely consider taking the first trip. However, it is also very important to be prepared for the move, and if you are confused, we have a few tips that may come in handy.
- Take your dog on a drive. Let’s get practical here – Not all dogs like going for a drive, and it makes no sense to cause distress to the pooch, especially if it’s not an enjoyable experience. A good idea is to take your dog on a short drive for like two hours to understand reaction and response better.
- Don’t forget the need for grooming. You need to take a few accessories along, such as a flea comb and dry shampoo. You can check a useful guide on how to groom your pets on a vacation. Dogs that have long hair often need more care and attention.
- Get a health checkup done. This is one of the first things that pet owners need to be concerned about. The vet will check all the parameters and decide if your dog is ready to travel in the first place. Not to forget, make sure that the vaccination and deworming schedule is maintained.
- Do your homework on the destination. If you are traveling nearby, you don’t need to know a lot, but it is good to ensure if the destination is pet-friendly in the first place. There are places of interest where pets are not allowed, and unless someone stays back in the car with the dog, others cannot move out.
- Check for apps. There are apps like Bring Fido that allow you to find places that are dog-friendly, and you can find many apps like these. Such apps can simplify your travel, especially when you are on a road trip and haven’t planned things in advance.
- Get the bookings done. When it comes to hotels, traveling with dogs can be a bummer at times. Make sure that you get the bookings done in advance and check if the hotels can make special arrangements for the pooch, if required.
- Get their favorite stuff. From the bed to toys, leash and blankets, it is a good idea to pack all that they need. You don’t want to spend extra money on these essentials, and there is no guarantee that you will find stores along the way.
- Finally, choose the activities wisely. Planning a vacation with your pet may sound interesting, but what needs attention is the choice of activities. You should be aiming at things that the pet can enjoy as well. For example, rafting or kayaking with a pet might not be a good idea on the first trip.
Lastly, do get a good amount of dry food, just in case you cannot find other options along the way. Planning in advance is always the wise thing to do.